Monday, March 9

Waking the Class before Spring Break


All right, I have an 8 am class of college students (and myself) to wake up on Tuesday. I plan to do so this time with...drum roll please, the aforementioned or is that, afore-posted, ; ) "coffee break muffins." I will be sending them off on Spring Break, and finishing a discussion of Barbara Kingsolver's book, Animal Vegetable Miracle. It only seems appropriate to have a caffeine infused talk.

Coffee Break Muffins
Adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

variations: *http://hungrygirlporvida.blogspot.com/2008/06/muffin-break-in-afternoon.html adds a walnut topping, and *The food librarian adds chocolate chips....

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp instant espresso powder
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup strong coffee, cooled
1 stick (8 tbsp) butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg
½ tsp vanilla
preheat oven to 400 F.

Mix together first five ingredients in a large bowl to combine—add brown sugar, making sure to break up any lumps.

Whisk together wet ingredients. Add to dry mixture just to combine—do not over mix. Lumps are perfectly acceptable in muffins.
divide evenly into lined or greased muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes (start watching around 15) or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean. Let the pan cool on a rack for 5 minutes before carefully removing the muffins. It is suggested that you allow the muffins to cool completely before eating.

Thank you to East Village Kitchen blog for the recipe shared here.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Miss Bliss!
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog so I could discover yours!! You have a great blog and I need to look up this book. It sounds really interesting..and those muffins! Oh my....I will definitely come back here on a regular basis. :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I got this too book have not really read it yet though! I should do a post abou it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog! Chocolate and shoes are a great combo.

    When I was in college, any teacher that brought food to class was always a good one - I'm sure they will love the coffee break muffins.

    ReplyDelete

Speak! Write! Be Heard!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites

Find Your Shoe Search!!! Results are further down on this page.

Custom Search

Search Results